Saturday, August 19, 2006

Nokia 9300 review

I'm a heavy mobile phone user. I expect the phone to let me: call, sms, organise my time and browse the web. If the phone does those 3 things then I'm completely satisfied with it.

I've read a million reviews of Nokia 9300 on the web before I bought it, and when I started actually using the phone it came out that none of those were actually true. All the reviewers seem to be using the devices for 1 week before writing the review. And most of the trouble with contemporary communicator-phones usually starts happening after 1-2 months of use.

Everyone knows the specifications of this phone so I won't repeat myself here, I'll just go straight for all the cons:
  1. It hangs, and it hangs and it hangs. I had two firmware updates already (at an official Nokia repair station) and it didn't help. It seems that Symbian is single-threaded, because every time two things happen at once - the phone hangs. When I'm receiving an SMS and someone calls me - it hangs, when I'm browsing through the call log and someone calls me - it hangs. Sometimes it rings and I'm unable to receive the call because all the buttons stop responding, sometimes it just plain reboots.
  2. It's slow. Making a call from the 'outside' keyboard is a real PITA, the phone says 'contacts not ready' and you have to wait 15-20 seconds till it readies itself. Is this a phone or what? Another thing is the poor SMS handling. When you receive an SMS you only see the first few words of it, while you'd expect to see the whole thing having such a big screen. When you want to open the SMS you wait 5 or more seconds till it finally opens.
  3. It has broken software. Even such basic things as the contact book are broken. Sometimes I was unable to make a call because when searching through the contact book (or browsing) it kept sending me back to the first contact every 3 seconds. So I was unable to dial contacts beyond 'b' or 'c'.
  4. Nokia's PC suite software is a nightmare. I have no idea why such a successful company would make such pitiful software and not fix it over the years. The only usable thing is the backup feature - and even that is terribly slow.
I could probably name a bunch more reasons NOT to buy this product, but I think the above are enough. This phone is so crippled that working with it is annoying.

No comments: